The Chiltern League is for our junior athletes in the U11 (Y5/6) through to U17 (Y11/12) age groups. We compete in Division 2 of the league and can enter any number of athletes in each age group with the first three from the team scoring points based on finish position. However, each team member’s performance is important as you could be in front of a scorer from another team thus forcing them to score fewer points!
There is always a good team spirit at the events, a tent for everyone to shelter in and usually plenty of cake post race!
Further information about the Chiltern League.
The race distances for each age group are approximately:
Under 11 boys and girls – 2000m
Under 13 boys 2500 – 3000m
Under 13 girls 2500 – 3000m
Under 15 boys 4000 – 4500m
Under 15 girls 3500 – 4000m
Under 17 ladies – 4500 – 5000m
Under 17 men 5500 – 6000m
The same timetable is used at every fixture:
11.30 under 11 girls,
11.45 under 11 boys,
12.00 under 13 girls,
12.15 under 13 boys,
12.30 under 15 girls,
12.45 under 15 boys,
13.00 under 17 ladies,
13.40 under 17 men,
The 2017/18 fixtures are below and further information including course maps, directions and parking details can be found by clicking on the fixture.
- October 14th 2017 Oxford Horspath – Shottover Hill
- November 11th 2017 Milton Keynes Teardrop Lakes (includes Cross Challenge match)
- December 2nd 2017 Luton Stopsley Common Course Maps
- January 13th 2018 Bedford Keysoe Equestrian Centre Course Maps (watch out for the sharks!)
- February 10th 2018 Milton Keynes Campbell park Course Maps
Click on your age group link to see the results on the Chiltern League website.
- October 14th 2017 Oxford Horspath – Shottover Hill U11 U13-U17
- November 11th 2017 Milton Keynes Teardrop Lakes (includes Cross Challenge match) U11 U13-U17
- December 2nd 2017 Luton Stopsley Common U11 U13-U17
- January 13th 2018 Bedford Keysoe Equestrian Centre U11 U13-U17
- February 10th 2018 Milton Keynes Campbell park
What to bring to races
To race athletes need a club vest or t-shirt. Cross country spikes or trail shoes are a must for U13 and above and a good idea but not essential for U11. It is Autumn and Winter so please make sure athletes have plenty of layers and waterproof clothing to wear when warming up and to put on after racing. When the weather is bad a change of socks plus a towel are useful. Please also bring pins and your own food and drink.
Athletes are issued with a number which contains a timing chip at the first fixture this is to be used for all races. If the number is lost or forgotten the Chiltern League will charge a £3 admin fee for a number change and replacement. At the end of the season all the admin fees are donated to a charity of the League’s choice.
Athletes must compete for their first claim club if both their first and second claim club are in the League.
Young athletes’ age groups are taken as under the mentioned age at midnight 31st August/1st September preceding the season. Under 11’s must be over 9 on 31st August/1st September preceding the season (so in Y5 or Y6 on the 1st September).
All competitors must be affiliated to England Athletics unless under the age of 11 on race day.