Three runners MAC runners took on the Brighton marathon on Sunday 9th April: Anthony and Kathryn Hall, and Ross Lindridge. Anthony described it as was a bit on the hot side!
Anthony finished in 3:16:20 position 359/20,604; Ross finished in 4:35:20, position 4404 and
Kathryn ran a PB by 26 mins to finish in 4:44:39, position 6,827.
Grand Union Canal Spring Half
Also on Sunday, Simon Goldfinch and Leila Oliver took part in the Grand Union Canal Spring Half though it felt more like a summer half! At the start, both Simon and Leila were optimistic of sub 2 hr finish times and the likelihood of the towpath having some shade. Unfortunately, the lack of any shade on the towpath scuppered the sub 2hr finish times but both Simon and Leila were pleased with their times nevertheless. They are looking forward to the Autumn instalment in November when hopefully their preferred weather conditions will prevail!
Simon Goldfinch 2:01:30
Leila Oliver 2:08:37
Thames Towpath 10
Jon Kew ran the Fuller’s Thames Towpath 10 mile race, starting and finishing in Chiswick. He finished in 33rd place over all in a time of 1:04:28.
Maidenhead Alder Valley Girls’ League – TVAC (10/4/17)
This was the girls’ first Alder Valley League meeting of the year. It was a glorious day at TVAC and a great opportunity for PBs. Our Maidenhead girls did not disappoint here.
In the under 17 girls, Abbie Jones broke the triple jump club record with a jump on 9.77 metres. The U17 4x100 relay team of Gurkiran Sandhar, Lucie Plummer, Abbie Jones and Michaela Nicoll also broke the club record.
U17 relay team
Other noteable individual performances included:
- Abigail Simmonds (U15) being on a few centimetres off the club record with a long jump of 4.62cm – 2nd overall
- Olivia Phelps (U15) equally her 100m record of 13.4 seconds – 2nd overall
- Lucia Fimia (U13) 0.1 seconds off the 70m Hurdles club record with a time of 13.2 seconds – 2nd overall
- Maddie Sturt (U11) only 0.2 seconds off the 75metre record with a time of 11.5 metres – 2nd overall
- The U11 girls 4x100m relay – Ruby Dale, Maddie Sturt, Sophie Winters and Eleanor Dries – who won by over 4 seconds.
The following athletes deserve a special mention:
- Michaela Nicoll (U17) – injured as a sprinter but threw for the team in discus and shot
- Ava Neeves (U15) – took herself out of her comfort zone with an impressive 300 and 800 metres
- Erin Rees (U13) – who stepped up to U15 to make up the numbers in our non scoring U15 4x100m relay team.
U11 relay team
Other great individual performances include:
- Ruby Dale, Maddie Sturt, Sophie Winters and Eleanor Dries (U11) team with some great potential – PBs all round!
- Hannah Britton (U13) – Long jump – 4.19m – 2nd overall and PBs in LJ, 75m and 150m
- Chloe Siddons (U13) – shot – 5.77m and 3rd overall and discus – 13.27m – 3rd overall
- PBs (U13)– Isla Page – 75m and 150m, Sienna Heape – 75m, 150m and LJ, Lucia Fimia – 75m, 70mH and LJ, Katie Losel – LJ (3.93m), 75m
- PBs (U15) – Eliza Craker 100m, shot, LJ, Ella Clarke – 100m, 200m, LJ, Ava Neeves – 300m, LJ (3.92), Olivia Hall – 100m, Freya Wilcock, 100m, 200m, LJ, Holly Reeves 100m, 800m
- PBs (U17) – Gurkiran Sandhar – shot, 200m, Jess Dibley – SP
Apologies to any names missed out – you all did so well!
Special thanks go to Karen Jones (admin support), Gordon Britton (coaching), Cara Phelps, Sarah Britton, Andy Sturt (team managers) and Barbara and Ian for officiating.
I look forward to the next meeting which is on 4th June at Guildford. Can I encourage all athletes to have a look at events which the club does not have A or B string athletes as we are currently in 5th place – particularly non scoring athletes. Our strong performances are let down by a number of events with no Maidenhead athletes.
Patrick Clarke (Girls Alder Valley Team Captain)
There was a MAC 1st, 2nd and 3rd at Saturday’s Maidenhead Parkrun! Nathan Brammer finished first in 17:30 (a new PB); Kai Furnell-Brennan was second; and Sam Brewster (and Amelie) came 3rd, also with a PB.
It was a good day for MAC PBs with Anthony Hornby, StJohn Ford, Celine Sturiale and Kanya Hynes all improving on their previous best times.
We’ve passed the 1,000 mark for runners signing up and the weather forecast looks promising for Friday! Thank you to everyone who has signed up to help – see you there!
The Club would like to welcome Matthew Levett as a new senior member.